Few served as president from 1910 to 1940 and oversaw an expansion of the school that is difficult to compare in modern terms. He led the school’s growth from a college of 363 students and 32 faculty in 1910 to a university consisting of nine schools, 3,716 students, and 476 faculty by the time of his death in 1940.
The signature event of President Few’s long tenure was the 1924 expansion of Trinity into Duke University. This transformation required years of planning and several decades of cultivating the support of the Duke family. Working closely with older brother Benjamin Duke, Few helped James B. Duke shape the gift that would launch a major research university and found a major charitable foundation, The Duke Endowment.