Participants in the first national conference of women food industry workers as they enter the Havana Libre Hotel. Opened in March 1958 as the Havana Hilton Hotel, it was the largest and most luxurious hotel in Latin America at the time. In January 1959, Fidel Castro used it as his operational headquarters. It was nationalized in 1960. The hotel was renovated in 1996 and is now operated by the Spanish firm, Sol Meliá.