In 1931, the Duke Forest was founded under the stewardship of Dr. Clarence Korstian, providing almost 5,000 acres of land to the School of Forestry—now the Nicholas School of the Environment. The first report from Korstian to President Few described the imminent need for professional training in technical forestry. In 1937, the Duke Forest had hosted over a hundred professional foresters from fifteen states, the District of Columbia, and five foreign countries. Today, the Forest contains over 7,000 acres, used for teaching and research by the Nicholas School and the rest of the university. This glass lantern slide from 1935 depicts a scene from the Forest, which maintains its same natural beauty almost a century later.