Outrageous Ambitions: How a One-Room Schoolhouse Became a Research University
Duke traces its origins to the opening of a schoolhouse in 1838 under President Brantley York, but there are other important events that make up the foundations of the school. These include the name change to Trinity College and the adoption of the motto, “Eruditio et Religio” in 1859, and the move to Durham in 1892.
Hand-Carved Wooden Trinity College Seal
Wooden seal carved by a member of the class of 1896, the first class to complete all four years in Durham. The seal features the motto of Trinity College, "eruditio et religio."
Hand-Carved Wooden Trinity College Seal (back)
Back of the wooden seal carved by J.F.B., a member of the class of 1896.
Trinity College Gates
The gates outside of Trinity College were one of the first additions to campus after it moved from Randolph County to Durham in 1892.
Trinity Gates "T"
This iron "T" hung on the gates outside of Trinity College.
White Beaver Hat
This beaver skin hat was allegedly worn by John Brown at the 1838 opening of a new building at Brown's Schoolhouse in Randolph County. The new building marked a new era for the school, with Brantley York at the helm. This is considered the beginning of the period of continuous instruction that would lead to the creation of Duke University.
Constitution, Page 1
The first page of the constitution of the Union Institute, one of the names of the institution that became Duke.